Apart from these, they also need to study on more subjects like Psychology, (HLD) human language development, Linguistics, Neuroanatomy, Genetics, and acoustics, etc., to make sure that they don’t have a field to limit their treatment too.
The usual concept that we have regarding a speech-language pathologist is only limited to someone who treats the stuttering issue. Although, the concept is correct but is limited. An S-LP is actually a very highly educated and learned personality. He at least holds a Master degree in his hand in the field of medical science. Like other fields in the medical treatment world, they also need anatomy in their study list (the practical experience of the human body through surgery and other similar procedures) and physiology.
Speech-language Pathologists Areas of Expertise
· Speech delays and disorders
Speech-language disorders are the most common among teenagers as their symptoms start from a very early age. There are other speech complications which include articulation, phonology and motor speech disorders. S-LPs are trained professionals working on them as well.
· Language delays and disorders
The language delay is a very big issue that most of the people acquire from their childhood. If not treated well, they can even have a set backing career and a low moral self in the society. Expression and comprehension in speaking and expressing are also in this category which the S-LP treats.
· Fluency disorders
The language oral speech disorder that we call stuttering. It is also an inborn inherited disorder. If not treated right, the disorder can completely destroy the self-confidence of the individual.
· Voice and resonance disorders
Some people have an abnormal tone and/or fluctuating tone pitch. Sometimes the disorder may cause due to problems in the ear. But mostly, they are caused due to the issues in the vocal cord or something else in the internal part of the audio system.
· Swallowing and feeding disorders
This is a common disorder that includes the swallowing of anything from food to water. Age is not a bar as this may happen to anyone starting from infants, children, and adults as well.
· Cognitive-communicative disorders
Some people consider this to be a part of ADHD (Attention deficit, human disorder) but it’s not. This is the disorder which creates an imbalance of communication skills in their social activities, the reasoning capabilities, the problem-solving skills of the individual and executive functions.
· Pre-literacy and literacy skills
The communication skills of the individual which includes the phonological awareness of the individual, decoding capacity, reading ability and writing. It may sound like dyslexia but it is not.
· Communication and swallowing disorders
There are some of the other cases which are comparatively rare but still out there. Those disorders include hearing impairments, dementia, and traumatic brain injury, disorders that are related to developmental, intellectual or genetic and neurological impairments.
Speech-language Pathologists Cereer Status
Their status may not be as much as that of a doctor, but they are not to be considered inferior at all. They are one of the most influential professionals in our society. They not only aid us in matters of speech and related disorders, but also boost our moral for social interactions. Speech therapist, as they are also known as has a very remarkable influence on those who are afraid to interact with others. If someone is facing issues like dyslexia, stuttering or anything similar, they are likely to be made fun of in the society. Due to this, they undergo a major social discrimination in schools and colleges.
Not only that, they are even facing difficulties in job interviews as they are not easily shortlisted. Most of the medical personals are treating the complications of the body that may harm them internally. When it comes to socially challenging situations, you won’t many people who can delicately solve the issue. An S-LP is a very committed professional, probably because they are more towards helping the society than satisfying their own needs. With a good influence and well-dedicated working style, you can easily find someone gaining all the social and financial benefits in time.
Speech-language Pathologists Payout
When it comes to payout, this is a very promising profession to consider. This is an equivalent o in some manners a therapist profession. The main thing that you can expect in this profession is that you can have a future of your own. You don’t have to be dependent on the clinics to provide you with a job.
You can go solo and as an entrepreneur. In that way, you can have a good and decent income without relying on someone else. As much as the figures are concerned, an S-LP bags an average annual salary of $73.5k. If you go solo, you can expect a minimum of 15% hike on it. So, as an entrepreneur, you are most likely to make around $83.5k annually. That is a very decent income and the respect that comes with it is also priceless.
Although it is not rocket science, it is still not as easy as making a pie. If you need to make a promising upgrade in this profession, you have to take it seriously. The things that you need to consider while choosing this profession are:
1. You have to maintain a good social status with good and charming remarks.
2. You must never have any records of violence, especially physical violence. If you have such a record, consider changing the place and starting over.
3. You must never misbehave with any of your attendants. They come to you because they need help. They are not fine and that’s why they are here. You are a problem solver, not a creator.
4. You must never get irritated even if the one sitting next to you is completely nuts; you still need to deal with him in a positive and passive tone.
5. Try to be a good listener. Your job is to provide your patients with the best possible solution. You can’t do that if you are self-centered. You have to understand that they are in pain and you can only help them by going deep into their thoughts.
6. It is never about the money. Being an S-PL is more like a social service. They must never do anything that involves money. They need to help the people and guide them in a way which doesn’t include monetary benefits as the primary object.
7. You must always have an unbiased approach towards anyone who approaches you. You cannot discriminate anyone on the basis of anything that you may seem fit. Have an equal approach towards everyone.
8. Have a good relationship with other doctors and health care professionals. You will have free advertisements from them and they will likely to recommend 50% of your clients based on your skills and social interactions.
9. Be active in social and cultural programs, they will help you build a name for yourself. Also, it is nice to display when a health care professional is serving free with a smile.
10. Get a good, decent experience before you go on your own. Initially, you should consider joining an institution that can give you a good and decent amount of experience and social status to start with. After a few years of service when you think that it is the right time, you can have a chamber of your own.
Speech language Pathologists Job satisfaction
As for job satisfaction, no matter what kind of person you are, this is one of the best employment options there is. You can have a helping approach towards the society. As a healthcare professional, you are more likely to get a better response.
From a financial aspect, this is a high payout job. If you know what invest, assets and liabilities are, you can have a good retired life after enjoying a good career. You can even have a chamber of your own while you work in a clinic. You can schedule that according to the need and the time that you are comfortable with.
From a social point of view, your status will be high as well as your mental satisfaction level. You can keep your prices low so that more and more people can come to you and take your help. You can also organize a few social functions with the help of some similar minded people. You can also join some NGOs if you want to dedicate your life as a social worker.
As long as you are doing what you are doing without the objective that you want to get rewarded fast, you are bound to get successful. You will go up faster than anything if you are completely devoted to your work. One thing you should always keep in mind is that you are doing something that is for the better good of mankind. You are not supposed to be greedy, but enjoy the rewards that follow.
I hope you like this article. Let me know what you think with your comments in the comments section below. If you think that this article is helpful and informative, please share and help someone out as well. Thank you for reading.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Canada SAC
- School of Allied Health and Communicative Disorders